Head of Policy and Engagement (Maternity Cover)
The National Centre for Universities and Business (NCUB) is looking to appoint maternity cover for 13 months from September 2022 to October 2023. We are open to considering secondments and flexible working arrangements based on suitability for the role.
To apply please email your CV and cover letter to Mark.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reporting to the Chief Executive, and working closely with the Board, the appointee will build on the excellent work the current Head of Policy and Engagement has undertaken to establish and lead an effective, evidence-based policy programme here at NCUB. This role will have the opportunity to further advance the following key priorities in the organisation including: developing and delivering policy programmes of work that are driven and informed by our members and funders; initiating new and innovative models of engagement with members and funders; developing our growing evidence, analysis and analytics capabilities and functions; raising the profile of the organisation; and growing NCUB’s influence and visibility in business-university collaboration.
Duties and Responsibilities
- As a member of the senior management team, to contribute to the strategic direction-setting of the organisation and in particular greater cross-team working and embedding new ways of working and collaborating.
- Lead the development and implementation of a policy programme aligned with NCUB’s strategy – specifically policies for Research and Innovation, Place, and Talent & Skills that can position NCUB as thought leaders in business-university collaboration.
- Lead engagement with our membership to strategically understand business-university collaboration, identify opportunities and barriers, develop a strong collective voice of business and university leaders, and develop policy and practice recommendations.
- Develop strong working relationships with key stakeholders to help maximise the wider influence of our policy work including on Government policy.
- Identify new opportunities and evidence needed to support an effective policy programme. In particular, the appointee will help build an effective programme of work with Research England.
- To lead NCUB’s efforts to further grow a diverse, engaged membership of business and university leaders.
- To lead our growing evidence and analysis activities including overseeing the development of our Analytics activities.
- To lead the policy and engagement team, creating a culture of excellence and thought-leadership.
- Significant experience in a senior policy and influencing role, preferably relating to universities and/or business.
- Demonstrable political awareness and the ability to gauge potential impact of policy change.
- Experience in leading and developing organisational strategy with a proven capacity to translate information and ideas into actionable plans.
- Demonstrable experience of influencing key stakeholders and senior decision-makers.
- Significant experience of managing people and ability to build, develop and motivate a high performing team.