'Kick start the economy by investing in jobs and people', says NCUB in open letter to PM
- Published: Tuesday, 16 June 2020 00:03
- Written by National Centre for Universities and Business
NCUB, along with over 200 organisations across the UK, has signed an open letter to the Prime Minister, calling on the Government to publicly commit to a new Opportunity Guarantee.
The UK is experiencing the biggest economic crisis in 300 years and statistics released this week on Tuesday 16th June show young people are hugely impacted, with more than twice as many claiming unemployment benefits than in March.
The new Opportunity Guarantee scheme, backed by some of the UK’s biggest employers, would help to kick start the UK’s economic recovery by investing in jobs of the future, helping people access the jobs market, and providing opportunities for young people.
The open letter, signed by cross industry partners - including The Prince’s Trust, Heathrow Airport, Asda, universities and charities – has political backing from Metro Mayors Steve Rotheram (Liverpool City Region), Dan Jarvis (Sheffield City Region) and Jamie Driscoll (North of Tyne Combined Authority).
Together, over 200 voices called on Government to invest in a new Opportunity Guarantee that:
- Promotes job creation by investing in the jobs that we need for the future
- Doubles the capacity in services that help people into jobs, with greatest support for those facing disadvantage
- Provides an education place, apprenticeship, or job for every young person
NCUB is pleased to support this vital, collaborative initiative to support the UK’s economic recovery and ensure a generation of young people are not left behind.
You can view the letter in full here https://www.communitiesthatwork.co.uk/opportunity-guarantee/
Published: 16th June 2020