- Published: Monday, 24 September 2018 13:20
- Written by Web Editor
While the value of people as a resource is long-established, there is growing awareness in the role of wellbeing, and what it means for productivity and innovation in the UK.
Both industry and the higher education sector share an interest in the wellbeing of our students – crucial to enabling them not just to do well in higher education, but also to take on work with success as graduates. In fact, according to a study conducted by the What Works Centre for Wellbeing, the likelihood of transitioning into a job after full-time education increases with higher levels of life satisfaction.
A focus on wellbeing doesn’t solely concern mental health either – it encompasses confidence built through skills and training, mobility and progression in the workplace and more. But how can universities and businesses provide the support students require?
Listed below, we’ve gathered the latest research and opinion around the topic of student wellbeing. If you would like to contribute please email email@example.com.
What is the National Centre for Universities and Business doing in this area?
Universities and businesses share an interest and responsibility to build resilience and support new graduates to thrive in the workplace. To address this need, NCUB is holding a series of autumn roundtables on the topic of student wellbeing, focused on supporting the transition from education to employment.
The final roundtable in 2018 will be held on World Mental Health Day to promote and celebrate the work of our members and on 30 November NCUB will advise the student mental health charity Student Minds on the outcome of the series.
For more information, visit our Upcoming Events page.
Student Wellbeing – Resources
- Universities UK and Papyrus - Guidance for universities on preventing student suicides (September 2018)
- Student Minds - Resources for starting unversity and understanding university life (September 2018)
- Student Minds - LGBTQ+ Student Mental Health: The challenges and needs of gender, sexual and romantic minorities in Higher Education (July 2018)
- HEPI - 2018 Student Academic Experience Survey (June 2018)
- What Works Centre for Wellbeing - Education to employment: The role of wellbeing (May 2018)
- UEA Students Union FOI results - Mental Health in UK universities (January 2018)
- AGCAS Phoenix journal - Student Well-being (October 2017)
- Student Minds - Graduate Wellbeing Report (October 2017)
- IPPR - Not by degrees: Improving student mental health in the UK's universities (September 2017)
- Universities UK - Student mental wellbeing in higher education - Good practice guide (February 2015)
Student Wellbeing – Opinion
- The Independent - Prioritising student mental health is ‘non-negotiable’, minister tells university bosses (September 2018)
- HEPI - Enough policy already; let’s get real about student mental health and wellbeing (June 2018)
- Unite Students - Health and Wellbeing blog
- National Union of Students - Health and wellbeing blog
Student Wellbeing – Member Case Studies
- UWE Bristol - Student mental health supported by new technology (October 2018)