Growing Value: Business-University Collaboration for the 21st Century Book
- Published: Monday, 14 July 2014 11:16
- Written by National Centre for Universities and Business
Authors: David Docherty, David Eyton, Alan Hughes, Ben Martin, Andrea Mina, Shirley Pearce, Jocelyn Probert
Editors: David Docherty, Martin Ince
Published: 17th July 2014
Growing Value: Business-University Collaboration for the 21st Century provides a comprehensive summary and update of the evidence base for the benefits of collaboration.
Updated statistics in the book reinforce the recommendations of the Enhancing Value Task Force run by NCUB in its previous incarnation as the Council for Industry and Higher Education (CIHE). The Task Force completed its original work in 2012 and was headed by David Eyton, Group Head of Technology at BP and Professor Dame Shirley Pearce, former Vice-Chancellor at Loughborough University. The Task Force produced three reports on the value of research and development to the UK economy, which are collected in this new comprehensive publication.
The four key recommendations are:
- Maintain the excellence of the UK research base. The key to this is a long term commitment from government.
- Prioritise and finance collaboration and the sharing of best practice in innovation between UK universities and businesses, local and global.
- Promote entrepreneurship and entrepreneurial management in universities in order to enhance risk-taking and innovation in business.
- Develop consistent but differentiated sector strategies. Here the aim is to ensure that interactions between universities and business match the innovation system of the industry concerned.
To order a print copy of Growing Value please contact us.
Growing Value research series:
- The UK R&D Landscape (2012)
An international comparative framework to stress the need to sustain the competitiveness of UK R&D in terms of both quantity and quality.
- Enhancing Impact: The Value of Public Sector R&D (2012)
Assessing the impact of public sector R&D, highlighting the benefits of publicly funded research and exploring the connections between the public and private sector.
- Enhancing Collaboration, Creating Value: Business Interaction with the UK Research Base in Four Sectors (2012)
Research into how business interacts the research base, with 71 interviews from the construction, energy, pharma and CDIT (Creative, Digital and IT) sectors.
- Growing Value: Business-University Collaboration for the 21st Century (2012)
The conclusions of the Enhancing Value Task Force, including their four recommendations for action and case studies of collaboration.
- Growing Value Book (2014)
Collecting and updating the full range of research from the reports above to provide a robust evidence base for benefits of university-business collaboration. Available to download as an e-book for your iPad or Kindle.