University of Bristol
- Published: Friday, 11 October 2013 12:47
The University of Bristol's roots date back to 1876.
Since its formation it has become one of the leading institutions among the UK's Russell Group of universities and operates globally, where it is recognised for its research and academic excellence.
The University has a strong interdisciplinary approach and regularly features among the top ranking institutions in global league tables.
The University of Bristol’s mission is 'to pursue and share knowledge and understanding, both for their own sake and to help individuals and society fulfil their potential'. This is underpinned by a vision where the University of Bristol is an international powerhouse of learning, discovery and enterprise, whose excellence is acknowledged locally, nationally and globally, and that is:
- dedicated to academic achievement across a broad range of disciplines, and to continuous innovation and improvement
- research-intensive, supporting both individual scholarship and interdisciplinary or thematic research of the highest quality
- a centre for intellectually demanding, research-informed education that nurtures independence of mind and helps students achieve their personal goals and serve society’s needs, both during and after their time here
- an inclusive and collaborative community of scholarship that attracts and retains people with outstanding talent and potential from all walks of life and all parts of the world
- a stimulating and supportive environment for all students and staff, distinguished by a commitment to high standards, respect for the individual and a strong sense of collegiality
- committed to operating in a sustainable manner
- engaged with society’s interests, concerns, priorities and aspirations
- a major contributor culturally, environmentally and economically to Bristol and the South West
- well led and responsibly run, with an emphasis on consultative decision-making and open communication as well as personal responsibility and accountability
Key to Bristol’s vision is a clear and consistent articulation of what it stands for and a dialogue with its many stakeholders and publics about the wide range of research and other activities carried out at the Institution - hence the University is often featured in many national and international media.
The University also plays a lead role in the city of Bristol’s cultural and economic well being and carries out an extensive programme of events and activities on behalf of the city, as well as being a keen supporter of partner organisations’ activities.
The GW4 Alliance combines the intellectual capacity and physical resources of leading research-intensive universities, Bath, Bristol, Cardiff, and Exeter.
A £4.6 million investment in 24 projects will let the UK research community take advantage of existing environmental data for science & impact.